Home » News

Decision time: What’s most important when choosing a college?

10 April 2012 844 views 16 Comments

April is the month when accepted students must face the facts and decide which college they will attend in the fall. Some students end up having many schools to choose from and some jump at the first chance they get to go to college. Either way, it is a big decision that will impact the rest of your life. (Dramatic, I know.)

We want to know what factor is most important when choosing a college? Maybe you are making your decision now or maybe you made it a few years ago. Either way, we want to hear from you. Take our poll to let us know your number one decision making factor.

What is your number one college decision making factor?

By clicking 'Submit Comment', you agree to the Edvisors Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

16 Responses to “Decision time: What’s most important when choosing a college?”

1. Katherine Williams says on April 19, 2012 at 5:51 am:

Since im a mother going to college my number one reason picking the college i go to was the distance i have to travel.

2. Susie Watts says on April 14, 2012 at 11:26 am:

As a private college counselor, I encourage my students to consider the fit: Academically, socially, and financially.
    By thinking about these three factors and comparing them to each school to which a student has been accepted, a good decision will usually be made.

3. Noelle says on April 12, 2012 at 11:52 am:

The most important factors in choosing a college would have to be how much financial aid they plan to help towards tuition, how much you as a student can realistically afford, and the quality of the programs that that university offers relating to the degree you are planning to go to school for. College is extensive as it is and finding a school who will provide a great amount of financial aid that complements how much a student is able to afford will be the best option in the long run when having to pay back the student loans. Also, if the university has a great program that will be beneficial to the degree a student is pursuing, then that too in the long run really matters!

4. Tess says on April 12, 2012 at 10:44 am:

For me, the most important factor when I decided on the college I will attend is how much I love it. I love so many things about the college I will be attending in the fall: the small campus, the knowledgeable, friendly professors, the great programs, the culture, the activities offered… it is an expensive college, but I think it is a good investment.

5. Lauren says on April 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm:

The best way to pick your college is to ask yourself what kind of experience do you want to have: strictly education, party-time, or a little in between? Off that answer you can determine which school is best. With education, look at the teachers, class ratio, degrees offered. Partier? Take a look at the campus stores and get a feel for the school spirit, do they have big sports games, many students, or many clubs?
    And with that in-between area, that’s what’s really up to you is to find out what feels right to you.

6. catherine says on April 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm:

When looking for a college you must make sure the price fits and the college has your major you want to study. Don’t forget to make sure you like the school environment. Number one thing to make sure the college has your type of learning style. everyone learns different. Someone may learn better in a smaller class room size than a larger one. Which ever one fits your style is the one that you should attend.

7. John Ignacio says on April 11, 2012 at 5:46 am:

The most important thing about choosing a college is how the costs and location will affect your life. In my case, I could not go to a mainland college because I could not leave my wife, so I went to a college that was on island instead of venturing away. You must also consider costs and tuition as it’s actually often better to attend community college first, then transfer to the larger liberal arts colleges to save money. Just some basic examples for college choosing in relation to real life, don’t forget to at least try to plan a budget before heading to school, money is usually your first reality check throughout life.

8. edwin alvarez says on April 11, 2012 at 1:34 am:

earning points on scholarshippoints.com to win FREE money for college!

9. Jessy says on April 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm:

Two big things: Cost &Reputation

10. Amanda Loflin says on April 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm:

The most important decisions when I selected my college was cost of attendence and career choice. To me they go hand in hand, but remember to also factor in the graduation rate and post-graduation job placement of your school. It’s not gonna be worth the time or money if you don’t learn what you went there to learn or have a decent career start afterward.

11. Kennia says on April 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm:

the most important thing to reflect on when choosing a college is the cost of attendance.

12. Katrina says on April 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm:

The most important thing to consider when applying for a college is if the college is accredited or not. This is extremely important for people who wish to seek more education or even receive a degree. Accreditation is basically whether or whether not the other colleges and workforce accept this colleges teachings. Its important to make sure your college is accredited. Otherwise you’ll be repeating all those years you spent in an un-accredited college!

13. Nina says on April 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm:

the most important thing to consider when choosing a college is how good the program is for the career that you plan on persuing. if you plan on being a doctor, choose a school that has a good med program

14. Lexi says on April 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm:

My number one college decision making factor is the MONEY!!!